the internet of things


(...) I’m going to take three quotes defining the Spime from Shaping Things as picked out by Tristan Ferne in, coincidently, a post about Olinda.
“SPIMES are manufactured objects whose informational support is so overwhelmingly extensive and rich that they are regarded as material instantiations of an immaterial system. SPIMES being and end as data. They are designed on screens, fabricated by digital means and precisely tracked through space and time throughout their earthly sojourn.” [Shaping Things, p.11]
“The key to the SPIME is identity. A SPIME is, by definition, the protaganist of a documented process. It is an historical entity with an accessible, precise trajectory through space and time.” [Shaping Things, p.77]
“In an age of SPIMES, the object is no longer an object, but an instantiation. My consumption patterns are worth so much that they underwrite my acts of consumption.” [Shaping Things, p. 79]
“…the object is no longer an object, but an instantiation” – this sticks with me.
A spime is an ongoing means, not an end, like a thing.
As I say, I enjoy things, and working in a company where there are real product designers (I am not one).
A while ago, back when people used to write comments on blogs, rather than just spambots, I wrote about the dematerialisation of product through the expansion of service-models into domains previously centred around product ownership.
It was partly inspired by Bruce’s last Viridian note, and John Thackara‘s writing on the subject amongst others.
But now I feel ‘Unproduct‘ is a bit one-sided.
The stuff I was struggling towards in negroponte switch has become more important.
The unmet (and often unstated) need for a physical ‘attention anchor’ or ‘service avatar’ as Mike Kuniavsky puts it in his excellent book ‘Smart Things‘.

Sem comentários: